Buckland URC was founded in 1835 as Buckland Congregational Church.
However, its roots go back further to 1807 when the members of Orange Street Chapel opened an afternoon Sunday School in the “Village of Buckland”.
In 1811 a fund was set up to build a church, which by 1823 had raised the princely sum of £49 7s 6d.
In August 1814 the Sunday School was moved to the home of Mr Aylen.
Then a piece of ground, on Kingston Road, belonging to the family of the late Sir John Carter was bought with a view to building a church. The foundation stone was laid on 4th September 1821. On 22nd April the following year the new Church was opened and the next year a library was instituted.
In 1835 the church became an independent congregation and in June 1869 the present church was opened, followed by a Sunday School to accommodate 1000 children in 1891.
In 1924 land was bought in Cosham for a sports ground.
In 1929 extra rooms were built to join the Church to the Sunday School.
During the Second World War social evenings were organized for those in the services. Many local people used the Church boiler room and cellar as an air raid shelter. As the war continued the Church buildings became a municipal restaurant offering a three course lunch for less than the equivalent of 5p!
In co-operation with the local authority, in 1951, a flourishing Open Youth Club was opened with a full-time worker.
In the late 1960s the former Sunday School was demolished and replaced in 1970 with our current Church Halls.
Today we run a Friendship Club, a Guide Company, a Soup Kitchen, a debt advice service and a monthly Table Top Sale.
We also host North End Women’s Institute (WI), the South Portsmouth Trefoil Guild, Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), Narcotics Anonymous (NA) and a group of Zimbabwean Christians.